Monday, September 26, 2005
French art deco pottery
MOUGIN FRENCH POTTERY VASE
GREY BASE COLOR WITH INCISED MUTED BLUE DECORATION
Started in 1867 in a small inadequate oven in PARIS
impasse du Corbeau Joseph MOUGIN and Charles LEMARQUIER,
both sculptors then, achieved their first earthenware with the great fire,
without any particular knowledge, only driven by Joseph’s passion and fantastic enthusiasm.
Their first attempts were lousy, they moved to Rue Dareau in MONTROUGE in 1898,
in a better-fitted workshop where they built with Pierre MOUGIN’s help a Chinese oven.
That enabled them to exhibit their first works at the Universal Exhibition in PARIS in 1900.
Conscious of his lack of knowledge, Joseph went to the Sèvres manufacture in 1901,
as an independent student. That same year, LEMARQUIER gave up;
a new place was chosen Rue de la Quintinie in VAUGIRARD. The two brothers associated.
They then profited by Victor PROUVE’s friendship and help, whom they met in 1892,
and overcoming innumerable problems, they eventually achieved the searched for results.
Ernest WITTMANN, Louis MAJORELLE, Pierre ROCHE, Victor PROUVE, RIVAUD,
CASTEX, FINOT and many others entrusted them with the edition of several of their works
and in 1905 they were at last granted a "first mention" at the Salon of French artists.
In 1906 they went to NANCY, Rue de Montreville, which Joseph, at the end of his life, considered as a mistake.
From that time, several exhibitions successively took place with prizes or honorary titles.
In 1919 they started researching about engraved and geometric designs and in 1923
Joseph signed a collaboration-contract with the crockery-shop KELLER and GUERIN in LUNEVILLE.
This contract ended in 1933. In 1925 he won the first prize in ceramics at the Exhibition of decorative arts.
In 1934 Pierre put an end to his activities and Joseph,
back in NANCY, carried on his research exclusively about enamel,
with the participation of his daughter Odile.
Somewhat between ceramics and painting, his art was then close to abstract expressionism.
He achieved his very last firing in December 1950,
the taking over being ensured by Odile and François MOUGIN
Designer William Brand Annet van Egmond